Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Soaked Oatmeal Sourdough Rolls






Wednesday has officially become my baking day since once a week I need to feed my sourdough starter.  I figured a few months ago that planning a baking day once a week is the best way for me to remember to feed my starter...and it keeps my refrigerator stocked with bread to boot!  So far it has worked well. 

Here is a recipe I came up with a few weeks ago when I was researching some different ways to bake a more moist bread.  I hope you enjoy it as much as my family.

Ingredients to make 24 - 26 rolls:
2 1/2 cups warm water
2 cups old fashioned oats
1/4 cup kefir or yogurt (with active cultures)
2 cups sourdough starter (recently fed or fed at time of recipe start)
4 Tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup honey
1 Tablespoon salt
1 Tablespoon yeast
1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
4 - 6 cups hard whole wheat flour (freshly ground)

The night before you are going to bake bread, pour the water over the oats and then mix in the kefir/yogurt.




At the same time, take out your recently fed sourdough starter.  Put both on the counter, cover, and let sit until morning.



The next morning, combine the soaked oats, sourdough starter, butter, honey, salt, yeast, wheat gluten, and 4 cups of flour.




Finally knead in just enough of the remaining flour so that the dough is not too sticky.  (Note:  It is much easier to add less flour when kneading with a machine, so be careful if you are attempting this by hand.)



Put dough into an oiled bowl (I use coconut oil).  Cover, and then put in a warm place.  (Hint:  Heat your oven to 175 degrees and then turn it off.  This will produce the perfect temperature for your bread to rise in.)  



When the dough is risen to double, shape into rolls and put the rolls on two separate baking sheets.




Let dough rise again.



Then bake for 20 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees.



Enjoy!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing in the context of love and truth helps us all grow in who God desires us to be. Please feel free to share comments that are beneficial to the purpose of this site and in pursuing godly, healthy living.