Soaked Coconut Scones




I may be the only one who LOVES coconut in our house, but I am not the only one who loves these scones...they seem to cross the "liking" barrier even for those who don't mind coconut in baked goods, and thus my husband and daughter have been known to chose this delicious option over some of their other favorite breakfast choices.  

Plus, I managed to pull off adding into this recipe an ingredient that I was challenged to make "something good to eat" from: Einkorn flour.  The friend who gave me the bag of this flour said that she thought it tasted awful in all the recipes she tried with it...and you know me and challenges.  What I found is, this flour has a bit of a tart/bitter taste to it, so pairing it with coconut flour, which is naturally sweet, was a perfect blend.  But, don't take my word for it...try it yourself.

Here are the ingredients you will need:
List #1
1 cup soft white whole wheat flour
1 cup Einkorn flour
1/4 cup cane juice crystals
1/4 cup SUCANAT
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup softened butter
1 egg
1 can coconut milk (not lowfat)
1 teaspoon vanilla

List #2
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

List #3
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup shredded coconut, chopped into tiny pieces in a food processor
2 Tablespoons cane juice crystals

At least 8 hours before you are going to make the scones (usually I put this together before I go to bed, when making the scones in the morning), mix up all the ingredients in List #1.



Then cover and let sit out at room temperature until you are ready to make the scones.

Right before making the scones, mix in the ingredients in List #2.


Then press the mixture out onto a floured sheet of parchment, making the dough into a big circle.





Brush the top or the circle with the milk and sprinkle with chopped coconut and cane sugar.



Then cut the circle into 8 slices.

Bake at 375 degree Fahrenheit for about 25 minutes, or until the coconut starts to brown.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Brie Cheese

Fermented Peanut Butter

Homemade Chihuahua Cheese