Earlier this fall I decided to take a new approach in how I serve stew and soup this winter season in our house. In the past I have met much opposition when putting a soup (or casserole) on the table that contained ingredients the whole family didn't find appetizing...and boy can they be opinionated! And since making different meals for everyone is not something I will not concede to, I had to find another way to get my family eating a good soup each week...and thus the "Add-in Your Own Ingredients" idea was born.
Here is what I did to make this week's stew...Creole Beef:
- 2 pounds of stew meat (still frozen is fine)
- 8 cups homemade broth (still frozen is fine)
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce, homemade is best
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- Sweet corn to add at the table
- Beans to add at the table - I cooked up some black beans for this
Put everything, minus the corn and beans, in a crock pot and cook on low for at least 8 hours.
Before you serve, heat up the sweet corn and beans to serve with the stewed meat and broth and allow everyone at the table to assemble their own stew.
For some added kick for those who like it hot, also make available chili powder and chili pepper sauce to add in.