Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Soaked Chocolate Zucchini & Raspberry Cake





I have to tell you, I am really learning to get into the rhythm of soaking now and so when I found a giant zucchini in the garden I thought I would try to make a recipe that would get this versatile vegetable into my chocolate loving family.


Here is the ingredient list for this recipe:
1/2 cup real buttermilk
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup softened butter
4 cups shredded zucchini
4 eggs
5 cups soft whole wheat flour (pastry flour)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 cups SUgarCAneNATural
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons real vanilla
1 teaspoon natural almond extract
1 1/2 cups raspberries (optional)
3/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)

In a bowl, mix together the buttermilk, yogurt, oil, butter, zucchini, eggs, flour, and cocoa powder and let stand to 12 hours.  (I actually got past the 12 hour point, realized I needed to go to bed, so I put the whole thing into the refrigerator over night and then took it out to continue in the morning...and it still turned out very good.)




Next, add in the rest of the ingredients, minus the raspberries, and whip in a mixer for a minute or two.  (Sorry I did this step early in the morning and forgot to take a picture.)


Then you can fold the raspberries into the whole mixture of batter or you can put the batter into greased individual cake pans or small bread pans and then fold the raspberries into the ones you want to cook with the raspberries.  I chose the latter since my boys just want the chocolate and the fruit would not be appealing to them, so to their cakes I added chocolate chips.



Then bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit.  For these cakes, the smaller (1 cup of batter) took about 25 minutes while the bigger (2 cups of batter) to 35 minutes.  You can just press gently on the centers and if they bounce back then your cake is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing in the context of love and truth helps us all grow in who God desires us to be. Please feel free to share comments that are beneficial to the purpose of this site and in pursuing godly, healthy living.