Monday, July 8, 2013

My Entry for the Bob's Red Mill Spar for the Spurtle III Contest





When I started working on this recipe quite a while ago for the Bob's Red Mill Spar for the Spurtle III competition, a couple of people asked my why I wanted to enter this cooking contest over other contests out there, especially since I'm not too acquainted with steel cut oats to begin with.  I guess the answer to that question is that I really like the products that Bob's Red Mill produces, high quality whole-grain selections which inspire ordinary people to cook better meals for themselves at home.  And, with my desire to promote more healthy home cooks it seemed like a perfect match.


Now, I can't say that my recipe is exactly the most healthy way you could make steel cut oats, since it is a dessert that does load on the calories, but it does make for a rather formidable contest entry.   Also, I love the fact that this recipe highlights the steel cut oats in two of its most favorable states:  as a soft soaked porridge and as a crunchy nut-like coating.  Here is my official description of this dessert:  Steel cut oat porridge coated in toasted oats, fried in browned butter, drenched in a real butter "scotch" made with the finest Scottish Highland sweet single-malt scotch, then topped with a remake of the oldest known cheese to be made in Scotland (Caboc), and then finished off with tart raspberries.  Do I have your attention now?

Below is both the posting of my official 3-minute submission for the contest and then a longer 8+ minute video which does not cut out any of the highlights the creation of this dessert involves plus as an added bonus I have included a short intermission covering the colorful history behind Caboc cheese. 

Official 3-Minute Video for Bob's Red Mill Spar for the Spurtle III - The Mount Hood Chill Chaser:



Uncut Video of Bob's Red Mill Spar for the Spurtle III - The Mount Hood Chill Chaser:



Feel free to visit the official contest entry page and vote for your favorite recipe at this link for Bob's Red Mill Spar for the Spurtle III Video Submissions.  I hope my recipe is your favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing in the context of love and truth helps us all grow in who God desires us to be. Please feel free to share comments that are beneficial to the purpose of this site and in pursuing godly, healthy living.