Saturday, July 27, 2013

Fermented Radishes





There were some pretty large radishes I had left in my garden, and since I came from a home that never put anything to waste this was a successful attempt to salvage what would have been some radishes past their delightful eating prime.  I decided to make these radishes up two ways so I could compare and contrast the flavors and see what I liked best, the ginger definitely won out and so if you favor ginger like I do you may just want to make both jars with ginger and eliminate the mustard powder in the second jar.


Here are the radishes I picked.  They are a couple heirloom varieties I grow every year just for myself, since no one else in my house likes to eat them.  (I am not crying, I could eat radishes every day if given the chance.)


Now, onto the recipe:
  • 2 quart jars
  • 4 to 6 large radishes
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1/2 cup cheese whey, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
  • 2 cups water mixed with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt

First, slice thinly all the radishes after you have washed them thoroughly and cut off the ends.

Next, in the bottom of the two jars place in each a crushed garlic clove and 1/2 teaspoon of your chosen spice (you can substitute another spice of your liking also so don't be limited by my two options given).  Top that mixture off then with just a few tablespoons of the salt water mixture.



Now, pack in the radishes, making sure to really stuff them in yet leave a god inch of head room at the top of the jar...


...pour 1/4 cup cheese whey into each jar...



...then pour in the salt water, making sure to divide it up equally between the two jars.


...place a couple of really large slices on the top to hold down the smaller slices...


...and then put a small food safe container on top of the large slices to keep them all submerged under the brine.


Seal tight with a lid and leave sit on your counter for 5 days.


After the 5 days is up, remove the small dish and store in the refrigerator or another cool storage place.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing in the context of love and truth helps us all grow in who God desires us to be. Please feel free to share comments that are beneficial to the purpose of this site and in pursuing godly, healthy living.