Skip to main content

A Necessary Mental Shift for Soaked Baking and Long Fermenting





As I have been switching more and more of my baking over to soaked recipes or longer cold ferment doughs, I have realized that most of the struggle in doing so has had to do with my mental approach to baking. Here is what I mean: Take for instance I want to make a batch of cookies with whole wheat flour. In the past I would have figured out, in my day's schedule, when I would have a large enough amount of time to make the dough and bake the cookies. 

But, I have realized that if I approach a batch of soaked cookies this same way, I end up completely frustrated. The result of my trying to make this new approach to baking into my previous mindset leaves me not with finished cookies I had anticipated and baking activities that have creeped into my farm chore/family time.

So, in thinking this whole thing over in my head (and for the longest time not even realizing what had been going on in my head to make me feel so frustrated over this shift), I decided to look at my baking from a whole different point of view. A point of view I must say that has in a way “released” me from my old way of baking and helped me to embrace this new way with open arms.

In trying to visualize this new approach, I decided to go back to some of the ways I used to cook a really long time ago, which I hate to admit was the convenience food, “out of the box” baking. Yes, I actually have made the shift this far and am I ever glad that circumstances in my life have pushed me to do so. But, when I think about how I used to cook from those dreaded boxes, my mental attitude toward baking was basically this: mix in final ingredients, shape, & bake. Now, let's step back for just a moment and look at the final process of baking something that has already been soaked: mix in final ingredients, shape, & bake. Do you see it? The final step in both processes is the same.

I found that if I were to look at the initial step of mixing the primary soaking ingredients like making my own quick “box” mix to be used later, then the second step like make a prepared convenience food, all of a sudden my stress level went way down. In essence, my mental time management for this type of baking suddenly took shape. Yes, nothing changed in the process of how I made the soaked or long fermented food, but my attitude towards it did and therefore my mind was able to mentally slot those cooking times separately, thus allowing me to fill the middle time with other necessary activities during the day.

Now, if you are not a person who plans things out in advance like I am, this whole soaking and long fermenting shift will be a bit more difficult since you can't just whip up something last minute unless you always have a soak going from which you can take a portion and bake up whatever your heart desires, but I can't see that working all too well with a generic “soak” considering portions and types of grains and soaking liquids are so varied across recipes. But, if you see planning as your greatest deterrent from cooking in this manner, you may consider keeping a few regular soaks which you tend to use, in your refrigerator for longer periods of time so you can pull them out at a whim and add the final ingredients to make your favorite recipes – making sure of course to feed them again (just like a sourdough starter) before you put them back in the refrigerator.

So, here is to more future “soaked” and “long ferment” baking! I hope you will join me as I find new ways to make even healthier versions of all my old healthy recipes plus a lot more new ones.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Brie Cheese

Well, I finally ventured into the realm of mold-ripened cheeses and what I found out is that they are much easier to make then I had at first imagined.  The reason I started with Brie is a personal reason though...I absolutely love it, crust and all.  Now I know there are many of you, like my husband, who will cut the mold off the outside and eat only the soft middle and there must be a lot of you because when I was at Trader Joes the other day I saw they are now selling a rindless version of Brie.  But all of that aside, I tend to think the mold is what makes the cheese.  And, if you go a step further and wrap the Brie in a sheet of puff pastry and bake it, then the mold's flavor is heightened further in adding to the complexity of this wonderful cheese.  Well, that's enough of my ranting about this cheese, here is how you go about making 2 large rounds.


To start off, heat 4 gallons of whole milk to 88 degrees Fahrenheit.


Next, sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of mesophilic culture plus 1…

Fermented Peanut Butter

Here is an easy way to get some good probiotics and enzymes into your family without them even knowing it - fermented peanut butter.

The recipe is so simple and I promise it doesn't change the taste or texture of the peanut butter since peanut butter itself already has such a strong flavor of its own.

First I take 4 cups of natural peanut butter and I mix in 1/4 of a cup of cheese whey.  If you buy the kind of peanut butter that is not salted or you make it yourself you will need to add some salt too, about 1 teaspoon.  Put the mixed peanut butter into glass jars, cover, and leave on your counter at room temperature for 12 to 18 hours.

Then, just put the peanut butter back into the refrigerator and use just like you use regular peanut butter.  It's that simple.

Homemade Scamorza Cheese

Finally, after being home from vacation for a week, the refrigerator was filled with milk and therefore it was cheese making time on the farm. This time I decided to make Scamorza, an Italian pasta filata cheese which I stretch so that it is similar to really large string cheese.  Not only is this cheese wonderful to taste, but when stretched and twisted in the way I make it, it is also is a beautiful cheese to behold.

To start off, I partially skim the cream off the cream from my milk to get 8 gallons of partially skimmed milk.
Next, after sanitizing my cheese vat, the thermometer, and stirring ladle, I pour all 8 gallons of milk into the vat and set it to medium-high heat on my largest burner.  Until the milk is heated to 96 degrees Fahrenheit, I stir the milk every couple of minutes while checking the temperature.
When the milk gets to 96 degrees.  Turn off the heat and sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of thermophilic culture AND 1/2 teaspoon mesophilic culture over the top of the milk.…