Skip to main content

Homemade Brie Cheese

Well, I finally ventured into the realm of mold-ripened cheeses and what I found out is that they are much easier to make then I had at first imagined.  The reason I started with Brie is a personal reason though...I absolutely love it, crust and all.  Now I know there are many of you, like my husband, who will cut the mold off the outside and eat only the soft middle and there must be a lot of you because when I was at Trader Joes the other day I saw they are now selling a rindless version of Brie.  But all of that aside, I tend to think the mold is what makes the cheese.  And, if you go a step further and wrap the Brie in a sheet of puff pastry and bake it, then the mold's flavor is heightened further in adding to the complexity of this wonderful cheese.  Well, that's enough of my ranting about this cheese, here is how you go about making 2 large rounds.

To start off, heat 4 gallons of whole milk to 88 degrees Fahrenheit.

Next, sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of mesophilic culture plus 1/4 teaspoon of Penicillim candidum mold powder on top of the milk and allow to rehydrate for 5 minutes.

After the 5 minutes, stir up and down with 20 large strokes.

Next mix 1/2 teaspoon of liquid rennet with 1/2 cup cool water, pour the mixture into the cultured milk and again stir up and down with 20 more strokes.

Now, cover the pot and allow to sit for 1 hour and 30 minutes (as you can see, I put a post-it note on to remind me when I needed to tend to it next).

While the milk is setting, take this time to sterilize the draining and mould set up for the cheeses.  I have found that this set up works best for me.  A draining platform set into the bottom of a plastic wash tub with a draining mat on top, an open ended Brie mould on top of that, and a pot lid to top it all off.

The basket is for scooping out the curd without too much whey.

The milk should be well set by this time, so cut the curd...

...then allow it to sit for 5 minutes to firm up.

Now, remove as much of the whey off the top as you can without disturbing the curds.  

Then carefully ladle the curds equally into the 2 mould set ups until you fill to the top (you will not be able to fit all of the curds in at this point, but be patient).  Cover the moulds and the cheese pot and wait for the cheese to drain.  

Return about 30 minutes later, very carefully drain the excess whey out of the bottom of the tubs (just lift the platform and all on top out, dump out the whey and then return the mould as it was), and then fill the moulds with more cheese curds.  You may need to repeat this step one more time, but just repeat what you did above until all of the curds are equally distributed between the two moulds.

Now, let the cheeses stand for 2 hours (that is from the point the last of the curds were added).

Then, carefully flip the cheeses as the pictures show how below, making sure to drain the tubs once again.  

Carefully lift from the bottom of the platform and remove from the tub

Tip upside down onto the lid and carefully balance on other lid and tub

Slide the cheese back onto the mat in the drained tub...repeat with other cheese

Let the cheeses sit for another 2 hours, and then flip and drain once again.

Now, allow the cheeses to drain overnight.  In the morning flip and drain again.  Leave covered for 2 more hours and then flip and drain one last time.

Finally, transfer the cheese to a tub with a lid making sure to sanitize the platforms and mats and put them into the covered tub before adding in the cheeses.

Sprinkle each side of each cheese with 1 tsp of salt and then store the covered tub at 55 degrees for 10 days, flipping the cheese one a day and wiping out the tub each day with a paper towel to remove all excess moisture and drained liquid.

After 10 days the mold on the outside should cover the entire cheese with a nice white thick layer.

Finally, wrap the cheeses with mold ripening paper (non-shiny side on the inside) and store away at the same temperature for 3 to 4 weeks for it to be fully ripened and ready to eat.

Note:  If you do not have an area that is 55 degrees, do not fret.  The ripening container can be kept in a refrigerator also, the mold will just take longer to develop on the outside and work at ripening the cheese on the inside.  A method that worked well for me was to move the ripening container in and out of the refrigerator each day, half the day in the refrigerator and half a day in a cool (65 degree Fahrenheit) room.


  1. Peggy,
    I work for New England Cheesemaking Supply Company doing our blog and Moosletter. I love this post and I'm wondering if you would be a guest blogger? I would do a short intro about you (with picture if possible) then show your post (including pictures).

  2. Jeri,
    How could I say no? I love to read your newsletter and was so inspired by your blog when I first started my cheese making adventure. Just let me know specifications for pictures and where to send them. Thanks for allowing me this honor.


Post a Comment

Sharing in the context of love and truth helps us all grow in who God desires us to be. Please feel free to share comments that are beneficial to the purpose of this site and in pursuing godly, healthy living.

Popular posts from this blog

Fermented Peanut Butter

Here is an easy way to get some good probiotics and enzymes into your family without them even knowing it - fermented peanut butter.

The recipe is so simple and I promise it doesn't change the taste or texture of the peanut butter since peanut butter itself already has such a strong flavor of its own.

First I take 4 cups of natural peanut butter and I mix in 1/4 of a cup of cheese whey.  If you buy the kind of peanut butter that is not salted or you make it yourself you will need to add some salt too, about 1 teaspoon.  Put the mixed peanut butter into glass jars, cover, and leave on your counter at room temperature for 12 to 18 hours.

Then, just put the peanut butter back into the refrigerator and use just like you use regular peanut butter.  It's that simple.

Homemade Scamorza Cheese

Finally, after being home from vacation for a week, the refrigerator was filled with milk and therefore it was cheese making time on the farm. This time I decided to make Scamorza, an Italian pasta filata cheese which I stretch so that it is similar to really large string cheese.  Not only is this cheese wonderful to taste, but when stretched and twisted in the way I make it, it is also is a beautiful cheese to behold.

To start off, I partially skim the cream off the cream from my milk to get 8 gallons of partially skimmed milk.
Next, after sanitizing my cheese vat, the thermometer, and stirring ladle, I pour all 8 gallons of milk into the vat and set it to medium-high heat on my largest burner.  Until the milk is heated to 96 degrees Fahrenheit, I stir the milk every couple of minutes while checking the temperature.
When the milk gets to 96 degrees.  Turn off the heat and sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of thermophilic culture AND 1/2 teaspoon mesophilic culture over the top of the milk.…