Matthew 4 & Fasting

This summer I am very excited that I will have the opportunity to facilitate a Kay Arthur bible study on fasting. I know I have a lot to learn on this subject and it seems from the growing interest I have received from the women who would like to join me in my study, fasting is a discipline many Christians lack a good understanding of.

In both my studies of scripture and my studies of gut health, I have come to the balanced view that fasting is both good for the body and soul – a practice which God intended for us to keep on a regular basis for our complete health.

...when you fast...” Matthew 6:16a

Jesus going off into the desert to fast for 40 days and 40 nights, as it is accounted in Matthew 4, may have been an extreme example of fasting, but as the scripture above from Matthew 6 states the matter of fasting for a believer is not an “if”, but rather a “when”. And, Jesus at one point in scripture is recorded as to telling His disciples of the powerful faith life which will be available to those who practice the discipline of fasting.

...if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. However, this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.” Matthew 17:20-21

Just the spiritual component alone has given me the desire to understand and practice this discipline more in my life. But, then there is the physical component that helps the body too. Here is a quote I happen upon a few months ago as I was studying the GAPS book, written by Dr. Nastasha Campbell-McBride MD

In 1921 it was discovered that fasting changes body metabolism: the lives uses body fat to produce substances called ketone bodies (hydroxybutyrate, acetoacetate and acetone), which can cross the blood-brain barrier and provide the brain with energy. Normally the brain uses glucose as an energy source, but in fasting glucose is not available, so the brain switches to using ketone bodies instead.”

If any of this information has sparked your interest in joining us for this summer study please contact me via my email to get on the list. Remote or local, we will study this simple 6 lesson study over the summer and with prayer and fasting grow to be more faithful and disciplined in our pursuit of God's way to live a more complete and healthy life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Brie Cheese

Fermented Peanut Butter

Homemade Chihuahua Cheese