Once again it was time to use my sourdough starter and since I had some bananas in the freezer, I decided to make a sourdough banana bread with a recipe I had been interested in trying out for some time now.
The bread turned out really tasty and it is a keeper recipe for future banana breads in our home.
Here is what you need to make this recipe:
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas
- 1 1/2 cups sourdough starter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup walnuts (I used black walnuts we harvested from our backyard and cracked this winter)
Mix together the honey, molasses, butter, banana, and sourdough.
Add in the soda, salt, egg, and flour.
Finally mix in the coconut and walnuts.
Put into a non-stick pan and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour.
Here is the finished bread, right out of the oven.