Lacto-fermented Turnips

So, I have had these turnips in my freezer which I grew, diced, and froze over a year ago and finally got sick of looking at them every time I went to get something out of the freezer.  So, I thought "Why not try and ferment them and make them a healthy snack?"  

My trial was a success, and for all of you who love pickled ginger (which I absolutely love) you will find that this recipe results in a very similar product.  Yum!

Here are the recipe ingredients:
  • 3 1/2 cups diced turnips
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 1/4 cup whey
  • Brine solution:  2 cups water mixes with 1 1/2 Tablespoons sea salt

Stuff the turnips into 2 pint jars or a quart jar. 


Put the garlic on top of the turnips.  


Put equal amount of whey over the vegetables (if you are just making a quart there is no need to divide the whey, just put over the top), and then pour in as much of the brine as you can fit in the jars, leaving a bit of breathing room at the top.

These ended up being a little too full, so I had to pour some brine off.

Close the jars tightly and allow them to sit for 5 to 7 days.  


That's it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Brie Cheese

Fermented Peanut Butter

Homemade Chihuahua Cheese