All Natural Pecan Pie Recipe


I can't believe my oldest son is turning 16 today, but it is just another reminder of how old I am getting and how much more I need to color my hair to keep the gray from showing.  But onto the recipe.  In lieu of a birthday cake this unique child of mine has requested pecan pie as his birthday dessert and so my daughter Maggie and I made up two pies last night to satisfy his request.

Now, considering the last time we had pecan pie was on our cruise and what we were served was a very pathetic excuse for a pecan pie, it wasn't even gooey but instead had a hard and crunchy consistency, I am pretty sure this recipe will beat that pie hands down.  But, only the birthday boy will be able to cast the final vote as to weather the pie was worthy as the dessert choice for his day...I am hoping it gets a better review than the one on the cruise did, but the fact that I didn't cover the edges of the pies like I usually do half way thought the cooking process because I was painting my nails and completely forgot, well it was definitely going to be a toss up. 

Well, now I am ready to finish this post because the votes are in (we had his birthday meal at noon)...and thankfully it was a successful attempt even considering my short attention span for the cooking part of the process.

Here is the recipe of Thomas' birthday pie (makes 1 pie):

Crust ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour (hard wheat)
  • 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 Tablespoon powdered SUCANAT (just a Tablespoon on SUCANAT milled in a coffee mill)



  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 6 Tablespoons cold butter
  • 2 Tablespoons orange juice

Put all of the ingredients, minus the orange juice, into a food processor and pulse until blended.




Then add in the orange juice with pulsing until the mixture comes together.  If it is still too dry, add enough cold water to make it all stick.



Shape into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap.  Refrigerate for a least 4 hours before using.



When ready to make the crust, roll out the dough on parchment paper using enough flour to keep the crust from sticking to the roller.



Then flip into a pie plate and shape the edges. 



If I end up with extra dough, like I did here, I roll out the dough and shape it over the top of the pie crust edges to make them extra thick.





Filling ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup SUCANAT
  • 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
  • 2 Tablespoons melted butter, cooled
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups raw pecans

Mix all of the above ingredients together.


Then pour into the prepared pie crust.



Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes, making sure to cover the edges of the crust after about 20 minutes (using foil or a pie crust shield).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Brie Cheese

Fermented Peanut Butter

Homemade Chihuahua Cheese