Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Sweet and Sour Fried Tofu

The other night I was looking for a recipe that was a bit out of the ordinary and at the same time my eyes hit a container of tofu and coconut oil, which got me thinking about how I could cook the two together.  What I came up with was tofu fried in coconut oil in a sweet and sour sauce.



First, I drained the extra-firm tofu and then patted it dry with a paper towel.  Next, I cut the chunk into cubes and then tossed them in 2 Tablespoons of non-GMO cornstarch, 2 teaspoons of onion powder, and 1/2 teaspoon Real Salt.  At the same time I turned on my wok and heated a couple of cups of coconut oil over medium high heat.




Into the oil went half of the batch of tofu, I turned it over then it got brown and then transferred the cubes to a warm tray in the oven while I fried up the rest of the batch.



For the sauce, I mixed the following ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 3/4 cup SUCANAT
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice (OR mix of 1/4 cup each of orange juice and lemon juice)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 Tablespoon tomato sauce/paste
  • 2 Tablespoons Braggs Amino Acids
  • 2 Tablespoons non-GMO cornstarch


Then, when the tofu was done cooking, I transferred the coconut oil out of the wok and dumped the sweet and sour sauce ingredients in.  Heating and stirring over medium heat the sauce thickens in a matter of minutes and is ready to serve over your tofu, rice and veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing in the context of love and truth helps us all grow in who God desires us to be. Please feel free to share comments that are beneficial to the purpose of this site and in pursuing godly, healthy living.