Thursday, February 14, 2013

Whole Wheat Chocolate Croissants

Happy Valentines Day!  Here is a recipe I made for all my valentines this morning - not a very healthy breakfast I agree, but then again they are more healthy than the average bowl of breakfast cereal and a lot more special for this day when most people go out of their way to show how much they love the special people in their lives.



Here is what you need to make this recipe:
1/2 batch whole wheat puff pastry that has been well cooled
1 1/3 cups chocolate chips, divided
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 egg, beaten with a Tablespoon of water

Roll out the puff pastry on a floured parchment sheet to 18 x 12 inch rectangle and then cut into 9 sections.



In each section, divide equally 1 cup of the chocolate chips.



Fold over the dough of each section into thirds over the chips and press slightly so the croissant holds its shape.



Place the croissants on a parchment lined baking sheet, with the seam side down.



Brush the croissants with the egg wash and then preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.



Bake for 15 minutes, and then turn the heat down to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for another 15 minutes.  While the croissants are baking, melt 1/3 cup of each the chocolate chips and heavy cream to make a ganache glaze.




Remove the croissants from the oven and transfer out of the excess butter that is on the baking sheet.



Drizzle with the ganache, and then serve.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Peggy--Look at all your beautiful photos! Several times this year I have wondered where your blogging went, but never while at my computer to check. I'm so glad to see you sharing what you do in such a helpful way. This looks really delicious! Glad to see you are still writing. Hope this year finds all of you well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure if the photos are beautiful,especially in comparison to the ones you take. Thanks for searching for me. Yes, my blogging has taken a bit of a twist from where it was last year, but then again so has my speaking. I guess I always wondered how God would use my love of cooking to minister to others and I have just begun to realize some answers to those wonderings.

    ReplyDelete

Sharing in the context of love and truth helps us all grow in who God desires us to be. Please feel free to share comments that are beneficial to the purpose of this site and in pursuing godly, healthy living.