Scriptures for Depression

In my own personal battle with depression, I found one of the largest tactics that the enemy used against me was my lack of knowledge and a solid foundation in truth.  One way I fought back to win the battle, which was being waged against my mind, was to post scripture around my home and say it out loud all day long, repeating truth over and over again in my head instead of the lies that had circled for so many years that kept tearing me down and defeating my will to move on.

After making this practice a habit, I not only found that the truths within these scriptures over time made their way into my head, but they also made their way into my heart and I was truly able to say I believed that God was all He says He is in the bible and I rested in the those truths as I looked ahead to the future.

I hope these scriptures encourage you like they encouraged me.  If you would like to purchase a recording of my entire talk on depression, which was recorded at the MACHE (Minnesota Association of Christian Home Educators) conference in April 2010, it can be found at this link:  Shedding Light on Depression by Peggy Ployhar

Here are the scriptures in the NKJV:

Psalm 37

    1 Do not fret because of evildoers,
         Nor be envious of the workers of iniquity.
    2 For they shall soon be cut down like the grass,
         And wither as the green herb.
        
    3 Trust in the LORD, and do good;
         Dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness.
    4 Delight yourself also in the LORD,
         And He shall give you the desires of your heart.
        
    5 Commit your way to the LORD,
         Trust also in Him,
         And He shall bring it to pass.
    6 He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light,
         And your justice as the noonday.
        
    7 Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for Him;
         Do not fret because of him who prospers in his
way,
         Because of the man who brings wicked schemes
to pass.
    8 Cease from anger, and forsake wrath;
         Do not fret—it only causes harm.
        
    9 For evildoers shall be cut off;
         But those who wait on the LORD,
         They shall inherit the earth.
    10 For yet a little while and the wicked shall be no
more;
         Indeed, you will look carefully for his place,
         But it shall be no more.
    11 But the meek shall inherit the earth,
         And shall delight themselves in the abundance of
peace.

Psalm 40

    1 I waited patiently for the LORD;
         And He inclined to me,
         And heard my cry.
    2 He also brought me up out of a horrible pit,
         Out of the miry clay,
         And set my feet upon a rock,
         And established my steps.
    3 He has put a new song in my mouth—
         Praise to our God;
         Many will see it and fear,
         And will trust in the LORD.
        
    4 Blessed is that man who makes the LORD his trust,
         And does not respect the proud, nor such as turn
side to lies.
    5 Many, O LORD my God, are Your wonderful
works
         Which You have done;
         And Your thoughts toward us
         Cannot be recounted to You in order;
         If I would declare and speak of them,
         They are more than can be numbered.

Psalm 46

    1 God is our refuge and strength,
         A very present help in trouble.
    2 Therefore we will not fear,
         Even though the earth be removed,
         And though the mountains be carried into the
midst of the sea;
    3 Though its waters roar and be troubled,
         Though the mountains shake with its
swelling.  Selah

Psalm 61

    1 Hear my cry, O God;
         Attend to my prayer.
    2 From the end of the earth I will cry to You,
         When my heart is overwhelmed;
         Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
        
    3 For You have been a shelter for me,
         A strong tower from the enemy.
    4 I will abide in Your tabernacle forever;
         I will trust in the shelter of Your wings.  Selah

Psalm 62

    1 Truly my soul silently waits for God;
         From Him comes my salvation.
    2 He only is my rock and my salvation;
         He is my defense;
         I shall not be greatly moved.

Psalm 71:3

    3 Be my strong refuge,
         To which I may resort continually;
         You have given the commandment to save me,
         For You are my rock and my fortress.

Psalm 77:10-13

    10 Then I thought, "To this I will appeal:
       the years of the right hand of the Most High."
    11 I will remember the deeds of the LORD;
       yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.
    12 I will meditate on all your works
       and consider all your mighty deeds.
    13 Your ways, O God, are holy.
       What god is so great as our God?

Psalm 116
    1 I love the LORD, because He has heard
         My voice and my supplications.
    2 Because He has inclined His ear to me,
         Therefore I will call upon Him as long as I live.
        
    3 The pains of death surrounded me,
         And the pangs of Sheol laid hold of me;
         I found trouble and sorrow.
    4 Then I called upon the name of the LORD:
         “O LORD, I implore You, deliver my soul!”
        
    5 Gracious is the LORD, and righteous;
         Yes, our God is merciful.
    6 The LORD preserves the simple;
         I was brought low, and He saved me.
    7 Return to your rest, O my soul,
         For the LORD has dealt bountifully with you.

Psalm 119:165 


    165 Great peace have those who love Your law,
         And nothing causes them to stumble.

Psalm 130:5-6

    5 I wait for the LORD, my soul waits,
         And in His word I do hope.
    6 My soul waits for the Lord
         More than those who watch for the morning—
         Yes, more than those who watch for the morning.

Psalm 139:7-16

    7 Where can I go from Your Spirit?
         Or where can I flee from Your presence?
    8 If I ascend into heaven, You are there;
         If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there.
    9 If I take the wings of the morning,
         And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
    10 Even there Your hand shall lead me,
         And Your right hand shall hold me.
    11 If I say, “Surely the darkness shall fall on me,”
         Even the night shall be light about me;
    12 Indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You,
         But the night shines as the day;
         The darkness and the light are both alike to You.
        
    13 For You formed my inward parts;
         You covered me in my mother’s womb.
    14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
         Marvelous are Your works,
         And that my soul knows very well.
    15 My frame was not hidden from You,
         When I was made in secret,
         And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
    16 Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
         And in Your book they all were written,
         The days fashioned for me,
         When as yet there were none of them.

Psalm 143:5-10

    5 I remember the days of old;
         I meditate on all Your works;
         I muse on the work of Your hands.
    6 I spread out my hands to You;
         My soul longs for You like a thirsty land.  Selah 
        
    7 Answer me speedily, O LORD;
         My spirit fails!
         Do not hide Your face from me,
         Lest I be like those who go down into the pit.
    8 Cause me to hear Your lovingkindness in the morning,
         For in You do I trust;
         Cause me to know the way in which I should walk,
         For I lift up my soul to You.
        
    9 Deliver me, O LORD, from my enemies;
         In You I take shelter.
    10 Teach me to do Your will,
         For You are my God;
         Your Spirit is good.
         Lead me in the land of uprightness.

Psalm 145:18

18 The LORD is near to all who call upon Him,
         To all who call upon Him in truth.

Proverbs 3:5-6

5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
      And lean not on your own understanding;
       6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
      And He shall direct your paths.

Isaiah 40:28-31

28 Have you not known?
      Have you not heard?
      The everlasting God, the LORD,
      The Creator of the ends of the earth,
      Neither faints nor is weary.
      His understanding is unsearchable.
       29 He gives power to the weak,
      And to those who have no might He increases strength.
       30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary,
      And the young men shall utterly fall,
       31 But those who wait on the LORD
      Shall renew their strength;
      They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
      They shall run and not be weary,
      They shall walk and not faint.

Isaiah 42:16

16 I will bring the blind by a way they did not know;
      I will lead them in paths they have not known.
      I will make darkness light before them,
      And crooked places straight.
      These things I will do for them,
      And not forsake them.

Isaiah 49:4

4 Then I said, ‘I have labored in vain,
      I have spent my strength for nothing and in vain;
      Yet surely my just reward is with the LORD,
      And my work with my God.’”

Jeremiah 29:11-13

11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. 12 Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. 13 And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.

Matthew 6:34

34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

Matthew 11:28-30

28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

Matthew 18:3-4

3 and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Luke 10:41-42

41 And Jesus answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. 42 But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.”

John 12:46

46 I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in Me should not abide in darkness.

John 16:22

22 Therefore you now have sorrow; but I will see you again and your heart will rejoice, and your joy no one will take from you.

John 16:33

33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will  have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”

Romans 5: 1 - 4

    1 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have  peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 3 And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; 4 and perseverance, character; and character, hope.

Romans 8:28-29
28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. 29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Romans 8:38-39

38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 12: 1 - 2

    1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

1 Corinthians 9:26-27

26 Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.

1 Corinthians 10:13

13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.

2 Corinthians 1:3

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.

2 Corinthians 4:16-18

16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. 17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, 18 while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.

2 Corinthians 10:3-5

3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,

2 Corinthians 12:7-10

7 And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. 8 Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. 9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Ephesians 2:10

10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

Philippians 1:6

6 being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ;

Philippians 3:12-14

12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. 13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:6-13

6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. 9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.
10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at last your care for me has flourished again; though you surely did care, but you lacked opportunity. 11 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: 12 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens m

1 Peter 5:6-7

    6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, 7 casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.

Hebrews 2:18

18 For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted.

Hebrews 4:6-7

6 Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience, 7 again He designates a certain day, saying in David, “Today,” after such a long time, as it has been said:


      “ Today, if you will hear His voice,
      Do not harden your hearts.”

Hebrews 4:11-13

11 Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience. 12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13 And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.

James 1:2-4

2 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. 4 But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.

Psalm 73

    1 Truly God is good to Israel,
         To such as are pure in heart.
    2 But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled;
         My steps had nearly slipped.
    3 For I was envious of the boastful,
         When I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
        
    4 For there are no pangs in their death,
         But their strength is firm.
    5 They are not in trouble as other men,
         Nor are they plagued like other men.
    6 Therefore pride serves as their necklace;
         Violence covers them like a garment.
    7 Their eyes bulge with abundance;
         They have more than heart could wish.
    8 They scoff and speak wickedly concerning oppression;
         They speak loftily.
    9 They set their mouth against the heavens,
         And their tongue walks through the earth.
        
    10 Therefore his people return here,
         And waters of a full cup are drained by them.
    11 And they say, “How does God know?
         And is there knowledge in the Most High?”
    12 Behold, these are the ungodly,
         Who are always at ease;
         They increase in riches.
    13 Surely I have cleansed my heart in vain,
         And washed my hands in innocence.
    14 For all day long I have been plagued,
         And chastened every morning.
        
    15 If I had said, “I will speak thus,”
         Behold, I would have been untrue to the generation of Your children.
    16 When I thought how to understand this,
         It was too painful for me—
    17 Until I went into the sanctuary of God;
         Then I understood their end.
        
    18 Surely You set them in slippery places;
         You cast them down to destruction.
    19 Oh, how they are brought to desolation, as in a moment!
         They are utterly consumed with terrors.
    20 As a dream when one awakes,
         So, Lord, when You awake,
         You shall despise their image.
        
    21 Thus my heart was grieved,
         And I was vexed in my mind.
    22 I was so foolish and ignorant;
         I was like a beast before You.
    23 Nevertheless I am continually with You;
         You hold me by my right hand.
    24 You will guide me with Your counsel,
         And afterward receive me to glory.
        
    25 Whom have I in heaven but You?
         And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.
    26 My flesh and my heart fail;
         But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
        
    27 For indeed, those who are far from You shall perish;
         You have destroyed all those who desert You for harlotry.
    28 But it is good for me to draw near to God;
         I have put my trust in the Lord GOD,
         That I may declare all Your works.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Brie Cheese

Fermented Peanut Butter

Homemade Chihuahua Cheese