Saturday, February 2, 2013

Roasted Pepitas

I love these little seedless pumpkin seeds, and maybe in recipes past you have seen me top creamy soups with them.  These are one of my favorite go-to foods when I am hungry and a recipe I make often.  But, I must warn you that there are two things to be very careful about while making this wonderful snack.  First, the seeds are very oily on their own, so don't add any more oil than I suggest or you will end up with very oily seeds (I talk from experience).  The second thing is that they cook very fast and when I say to check on them every 1 to 2 minutes, I MEAN IT!

OK, here is what you will need:

A parchment lined baking sheet and,
for every 4 cups of pepitas 2 teaspoons oil and 2 teaspoon salt.



Mix, spread out on the parchment covered pan, and then bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 10 minutes, MAKING SURE TO CHECK EVERY 1 TO 2 MINUTES and stir.  That's it.


3 comments:

  1. I was anxious to try these, as I had a big bag of unopened Pepitas in my cupboard. I made the first batch...a little oily & salty....so I made another two cups in the same pan with no oil or salt. I mixed them together and popped them back in for 1 minute. Mixed th well and perfect.
    Peggy, these were from CLNF and some still in the bag. i bought them a few months back. If I fold the bag over and tape it, will they last a while, or should I freeze them? Also I have a lot of them roasted now, how long will they store in a jar on the shelf? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine last for months opened. I just put a clothes pin on the bag and put it in a rubbermaid container to keep any critters out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Nancy you were right about the excess salt and oil. I made a batch of these today and realized that for every 4 cups of pepitas it is 2 teaspoons of oil and 2 teaspoons of salt. The recipe has now been corrected to show those amounts. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Sharing in the context of love and truth helps us all grow in who God desires us to be. Please feel free to share comments that are beneficial to the purpose of this site and in pursuing godly, healthy living.