Skip to main content

Mark 6 & A Lesson In Multiplication

Something about me that many people don't know is that by nature I am a procrastinator.  Now, by what I CAN accomplish in a day it may seem rather strange for me to make that statement, but the sad truth is I constantly fight a lurking desire to put things off, hoping and wishing they would work themselves out or that God would just step in and do what needs to be done or just remove the burden from my plate so I don't have to deal with it.  But, the thing I have learned over the years is not to give into my natural desire for procrastination and thus it may seem on the outside this is not an issue I deal withThe fact of the matter is, I make it a point each day to fight against this natural flaw until the work that needs to get done is accomplished. 

So, why tell you about this deviant tendency of mine?  Well, I wanted to encourage all of you who have this same natural bent and share something God taught me this week as I was reading a devotional by Henry Blackaby where he was talking about the multiplication of the loaves and fish in Mark 6.  

Here is what he wrote:  "How do you respond to the concept that 'like is multiplied into like'?

To which I wrote in my journal:  "I don't allow myself to sit around too long waiting for God to start, I offer the first piece, take the first step...and then I trust that if this is the work He has called me to, then He will multiply a miracle from the little bit I had the energy and resources to bring forth from myself."

All Jesus asked of the disciples that day was to offer Him what they had, no more or no less.  Then, with what they had to offer, He was able to use it and bring about something spectacular that the disciples knew they couldn't accomplish and which they were going to allow to defeat them.  

By the unchanging nature of God, does He not work the same today as He did on the lawn that day feeding the crowd with the little that was offered Him?  Why do we as Christians then tend to get so easily discouraged if we truly believe that God will bring to fruition whatever tasks He sets before us?  

I think we get discouraged and find ourselves prone to procrastination because we forget this truth about God, and we try to reason His callings to us through our own means, and when we find that our resources are too limited to complete the task, that is when procrastination sets in and doubt and fear take over.  I have to admit, I see this scenario played out every day in my life, and that is even after a full year of God confirming His ability to take my meager offering and multiply it into something beyond what I could have accomplished from my own resources - that being my devotional writing project that I tracked on www.SheddingLightOnThePath.blogspot.com.  

I want to scream with the man who was recorded in Mark 9:24 who said:  "Lord, I believe; help me with my unbelief." Truly it is only with the Lord's help each day that I can look at each task before me, offer what little I have in making that task come to be, and then believe in His ability to multiply what I have given to Him.  I have to keep reminding myself that the miracle is His job and through it He alone can be glorified.  

I hope you fellow procrastinators will join me in trusting God to multiply whatever meager offerings you have to give towards the tasks the Lord is calling you to.  "Like" must first be given before it can be multiplied and what a tragedy if we never take the chance in offering to our Lord what He asks so He can multiply it in each of our lives.

Comments

  1. Oh I loved this post! I can so relate to the ongoing battle with procrastination. Reminds me of the sermon regarding the talents too. We are only required to do with what He gave us and as you said, He will multiply it and do the rest to HIS glory.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Sharing in the context of love and truth helps us all grow in who God desires us to be. Please feel free to share comments that are beneficial to the purpose of this site and in pursuing godly, healthy living.

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Brie Cheese

Well, I finally ventured into the realm of mold-ripened cheeses and what I found out is that they are much easier to make then I had at first imagined.  The reason I started with Brie is a personal reason though...I absolutely love it, crust and all.  Now I know there are many of you, like my husband, who will cut the mold off the outside and eat only the soft middle and there must be a lot of you because when I was at Trader Joes the other day I saw they are now selling a rindless version of Brie.  But all of that aside, I tend to think the mold is what makes the cheese.  And, if you go a step further and wrap the Brie in a sheet of puff pastry and bake it, then the mold's flavor is heightened further in adding to the complexity of this wonderful cheese.  Well, that's enough of my ranting about this cheese, here is how you go about making 2 large rounds.


To start off, heat 4 gallons of whole milk to 88 degrees Fahrenheit.


Next, sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of mesophilic culture plus 1…

Fermented Peanut Butter

Here is an easy way to get some good probiotics and enzymes into your family without them even knowing it - fermented peanut butter.

The recipe is so simple and I promise it doesn't change the taste or texture of the peanut butter since peanut butter itself already has such a strong flavor of its own.

First I take 4 cups of natural peanut butter and I mix in 1/4 of a cup of cheese whey.  If you buy the kind of peanut butter that is not salted or you make it yourself you will need to add some salt too, about 1 teaspoon.  Put the mixed peanut butter into glass jars, cover, and leave on your counter at room temperature for 12 to 18 hours.

Then, just put the peanut butter back into the refrigerator and use just like you use regular peanut butter.  It's that simple.

Homemade Scamorza Cheese

Finally, after being home from vacation for a week, the refrigerator was filled with milk and therefore it was cheese making time on the farm. This time I decided to make Scamorza, an Italian pasta filata cheese which I stretch so that it is similar to really large string cheese.  Not only is this cheese wonderful to taste, but when stretched and twisted in the way I make it, it is also is a beautiful cheese to behold.

To start off, I partially skim the cream off the cream from my milk to get 8 gallons of partially skimmed milk.
Next, after sanitizing my cheese vat, the thermometer, and stirring ladle, I pour all 8 gallons of milk into the vat and set it to medium-high heat on my largest burner.  Until the milk is heated to 96 degrees Fahrenheit, I stir the milk every couple of minutes while checking the temperature.
When the milk gets to 96 degrees.  Turn off the heat and sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of thermophilic culture AND 1/2 teaspoon mesophilic culture over the top of the milk.…