Friday, February 22, 2013

Making Corn Tortillas

Tacos are one of my oldest son's favorite dinners but buying store bought taco shells or even tortillas is not something I want to add to our diet.  Therefore, a few years ago, I did some research on tortilla presses and started making my own corn and whole wheat tortillas.  In the end, I purchased a 10 inch cast iron press based on all the reviews I read, and I have not second guessed my decision since my purchase.

The recipe I am going to share with you today is for corn tortillas using a special corn flour specifically for making these wonderful Mexican flat breads.

Here is what you will need for ingredients:
2 cups nixtamalina flour
1 1/4 cups water

Mix the water and the flour and then cover and let sit for 15 to 20 minutes.


Next, take a small ball of the dough and lay it towards the back part of the press.


Note:  You will notice the plastic on the press - I use a large baggie cut in half to cover both sides of the press to keep the tortilla from sticking.


Then cook the tortilla on one side until it starts to brown.  Flip, and brown the other side.



Keep the tortillas warm and flexible by putting them in a towel after they finish cooking.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing in the context of love and truth helps us all grow in who God desires us to be. Please feel free to share comments that are beneficial to the purpose of this site and in pursuing godly, healthy living.