Whole Wheat Popovers

What better way to get kids to the table to start another school day, than the smell of fresh popovers just coming out of the oven.

My kids absolutely love popovers and making them with whole wheat is a great added benefit, but for the longest time this adaptation to my regular popover recipe did not turn out popovers that popped the way they should.  So, I went on a hunt to try and find another recipe that would allow me to use my freshly ground whole wheat flour and would result in a popped-popover.

Here is the recipe I now use.  It is doubled to make 12 popovers, so if you only have one popover pan you will want to half all of the ingredients:

The night before I make the popovers, I measure out 2 cups of milk and take out 6 medium eggs (4 extra large would be equivalent) and I leave them on the counter so they warm to room temperature.


In the morning, I heat up 1/4 butter and generously coat my popover pans.


Then I heat my oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and put the empty popover pans in the oven while I am mixing up the batter.

Here are the ingredients to mix together for the batter:
6 medium/4 extra-large eggs (at room temperature)
2 cups milk (room temperature)
2 cups whole wheat flour (hard wheat, freshly ground)
2 teaspoons vital wheat gluten flour
2 teaspoons melted butter
1 teaspoon salt

When the oven has reached 425 degrees and you can hear the butter sizzling, then fill the popover cups each about half full.


Cook at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes and then without opening the oven turn the temperature down to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for another 15 minutes.

As soon as you remove the popovers from the oven, make sure to insert a knife into them so they can release steam.


Serve warm with honey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Brie Cheese

Fermented Peanut Butter

Homemade Chihuahua Cheese