Skip to main content

Whole Wheat Pita Pockets

So, last week and this week, my 10th grader has been studying some middle eastern countries for school.  And, for part of his studies, he was required to make pita bread.  Well, to me that sounded like a good opportunity to have him help me make dinner tonight and plus get some special one-on-one time with him in the kitchen.  (You will notice it is his hands doing the work in the pictures.)


Here is a recipe for pita pockets that I have made many times.  You will be amazed at how easy they really are to make.

To make the dough first warm up 1 1/2 cups of homemade buttermilk.  If you don't have homemade buttermilk than you can replace it with 1 1/4 cups of water plus 1/4 cup of either cultured buttermilk or yogurt.

To the warmed buttermilk add 1 Tablespoon of yeast.  Set that aside for the yeast to start growing while you mix the dry ingredients.


Into a mixing bowl add the following:
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup gluten flour
1 cup whole wheat flour (hard wheat)

Pour in the yeast mixture and then stir.

Now add in as much flour as needed to make a good dough, making sure to knead the dough for at least 5 minutes.

Once the dough is kneaded, separate it into 8 to 10 pieces and roll them out making sure to roll from the inside of the circle to the outside.


Meanwhile have an oven heating to 500 degrees Fahrenheit with 2 insulated baking sheets on the middle rack.

After rolling out 4 to 5 (half of the dough), quickly put the pita dough rounds into the oven and let cook for 4 to 6 minutes (until just slightly brown and puffed).  Repeat.


Store in a towel to keep them warm and moist until you are ready to serve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Brie Cheese

Well, I finally ventured into the realm of mold-ripened cheeses and what I found out is that they are much easier to make then I had at first imagined.  The reason I started with Brie is a personal reason though...I absolutely love it, crust and all.  Now I know there are many of you, like my husband, who will cut the mold off the outside and eat only the soft middle and there must be a lot of you because when I was at Trader Joes the other day I saw they are now selling a rindless version of Brie.  But all of that aside, I tend to think the mold is what makes the cheese.  And, if you go a step further and wrap the Brie in a sheet of puff pastry and bake it, then the mold's flavor is heightened further in adding to the complexity of this wonderful cheese.  Well, that's enough of my ranting about this cheese, here is how you go about making 2 large rounds.


To start off, heat 4 gallons of whole milk to 88 degrees Fahrenheit.


Next, sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of mesophilic culture plus 1…

Fermented Peanut Butter

Here is an easy way to get some good probiotics and enzymes into your family without them even knowing it - fermented peanut butter.

The recipe is so simple and I promise it doesn't change the taste or texture of the peanut butter since peanut butter itself already has such a strong flavor of its own.

First I take 4 cups of natural peanut butter and I mix in 1/4 of a cup of cheese whey.  If you buy the kind of peanut butter that is not salted or you make it yourself you will need to add some salt too, about 1 teaspoon.  Put the mixed peanut butter into glass jars, cover, and leave on your counter at room temperature for 12 to 18 hours.

Then, just put the peanut butter back into the refrigerator and use just like you use regular peanut butter.  It's that simple.

Homemade Scamorza Cheese

Finally, after being home from vacation for a week, the refrigerator was filled with milk and therefore it was cheese making time on the farm. This time I decided to make Scamorza, an Italian pasta filata cheese which I stretch so that it is similar to really large string cheese.  Not only is this cheese wonderful to taste, but when stretched and twisted in the way I make it, it is also is a beautiful cheese to behold.

To start off, I partially skim the cream off the cream from my milk to get 8 gallons of partially skimmed milk.
Next, after sanitizing my cheese vat, the thermometer, and stirring ladle, I pour all 8 gallons of milk into the vat and set it to medium-high heat on my largest burner.  Until the milk is heated to 96 degrees Fahrenheit, I stir the milk every couple of minutes while checking the temperature.
When the milk gets to 96 degrees.  Turn off the heat and sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of thermophilic culture AND 1/2 teaspoon mesophilic culture over the top of the milk.…