Making Gruyere Cheese

Yesterday morning the refrigerator had filled to the point I needed to make cheese, so I started taking pictures through the process so I could share it with you.  Tonight now, the cheese is finally onto the drying stage and I am ready to document here as concisely as I can.

Now, since this is the first cheese recipe I am putting up on this site, I will make the disclaimer that most cheese making follows the same process.  What makes a cheese unique - that is what differs one cheese type from another, are the slight variations in the process of cheese making.  The Gruyere cheese recipe that I will be outlining here is a wonderful melting cheese that originates from France, and although I add a few twists to my recipe that would probably make a French cheese maker turn his nose up at me, it is close enough to Gruyere for my family.  

To start off, I partially skim the cream off the cream from my milk to get 8 gallons of partially skimmed milk.

Next, after sanitizing my cheese vat, the thermometer, and stirring ladle, I pour all 8 gallons of milk into the vat and set it to medium-high heat on my largest burner.  Until the milk is heated to 90 degrees Fahrenheit, I stir the milk every couple of minutes while checking the temperature.

When the milk gets to 90 degrees.  Turn off the heat and sprinkle 1 teaspoon of thermophilic culture over the top of the milk.  I get my cultures, rennet, and cheese making supplies from and have found his prices to be spot on competitive.  He also has great turn around on products and wonderful customer service.

Here is a picture of the culture moistening up on top of the milk. 

After the culture has moistened for a minute or two, I use the ladle to draw down the culture with up and down motions about 20 times to make sure it is fully incorporated into the milk.

For this recipe, I let the culture sit in the milk for just 10 minutes - that is the recipe for Gruyere.  Then stir the milk again and add in a 1/2 cup of water that has been mixed with 1 1/2 teaspoons of rennet.  I use a vegetarian rennet liquid because it works well for me every time.  Make sure to stir the rennet into the cultured milk really well, just like the culture had been stirred in, with about 20 up and down strokes, otherwise the cheese will not set properly.

Now cover and let the pot sit for 40 minutes maintaining the 90 degree temperature.  Just a note on maintaining temperature.  If you are making a small batch of cheese you will not be able to just turn off the heat and expect your cheese to maintain the same temperature unless your room is 90 degrees also.  But if you make a large batch with 8 gallons, it takes a long time for that must heat to disburse.  I have found that making larger batches is just easier for me since I have so much milk on hand and temperature maintenance is not a problem.

Yes, it is a HUGE pot
After 40 minutes, your cheese should have set and it should look like milk jello.  

With a sanitized knife, I then cut the curd into pieces.  And then further continue to stir, per this recipe, until all the curds are about the size of peas.

Next, the heat goes on at medium and the curds are slowly heated while being stirred until they reach 114 degrees Fahrenheit.

The curds are then let to settle while I sanitize the items I need to remove the curds and press them.

Now, with very clean hands, I scoop the curds out of the whey and put them into a stainer that is lined with a natural cheese cloth.

Next, I just lift up the cloth and move all the curds into the tomme mold, with the cloth still around the curds, and put the mold into my cheese press with medium pressure for 1 hour.

 After an hour, I take the cheese out of the cloth, turn it upside down and re-wrap it with a poly cheese cloth - it is much easier to remove the final cheese from this type of cloth then the traditional cloth, but I do use the traditional cloth for the first step because it is bigger and it makes wrapping and moving the curd a much less messy process.

Now the cheese, in the mold, sits on my counter under medium pressure for 12 to 18 hours - the next morning is close enough for me.

In the morning I mix 1 cup of pickling salt with about 2 inches of cold water in a plastic container (see below).  And place the unwrapped cheese into the salt water brine.  Just a quick note, I cut my cheese into 2 pieces at this point because when I long term store my cheese for aging I vacuum seal them and the full cheese is too big for the sealing bags I use.  If you want a full round you do not have to cut your cheese in half like I do.

The cheese should sit in the brine for a total of 12 hours - 6 hours on each side.  Then, after being in the brine all day, take the cheese out, place it on a sanitized mat and put in the refrigerator for a few days to dry.  Then flip and dry for a few more days.

Your cheese, when completely dried, will be ready to eat or store.


Post a Comment

Sharing in the context of love and truth helps us all grow in who God desires us to be. Please feel free to share comments that are beneficial to the purpose of this site and in pursuing godly, healthy living.

Popular Posts