We also made hush puppies to go along with the fish. Below are both of the recipes we used for our wonderful dinner.
First, here is our family standard for hush puppies.
Hush Puppy Ingredients:
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon dehydrated onion flakes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 3/4 cups cornmeal (non-GMO)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (hard wheat)
- 1 Tablespoon SUCANAT
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Oil for frying
Heat oil to 180 degrees Fahrenheit. Then drop batter into the hot oil, one teaspoon at a time. Keep in a warm oven on a paper towel while you are making the accompanying fish.
And, this recipe we found on the Food Network site that we modified from Paula Dean.
Southern Fried Catfish Ingredients:
- 1 package of catfish - thawed
- Cajun seasoning (we used a homemade blend Maggie made for her brother Thomas this year as his Christmas present)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal (non-GMO) mixed with 1 cup whole wheat (hard wheat) flour
- Oil for frying (use the same oil as you did for the hush puppies if you are making the recipes together - of course make the hush puppies first so they don't taste like fish)
Step 1: Start heating oil, and heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
Step 2: Dry off the fish with paper towel.
Step 3: Salt and season the fish on both sides
Step 4: Press the fish into the cornmeal and flour mixture
Step 5: Fry the fish until cooked through - 1 to 2 minutes
Serve immediately with the warmed hush puppies from the oven and homemade tartar sauce.