Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream

When I first started making ice cream using raw cream, I always hated the fact that all the chocolate ice cream recipes I found required you to cook them and then cool them.  What was the point in using raw cream if the ice cream wasn't raw.  Well, after much searching and experimenting, here is my adaptation of raw chocolate ice cream. By the way if you don't have raw cream you can use regular pasteurized cream to get the same taste results, it just won't have all the wonderful enzymes which the raw cream adds. 

I start out with a quart jar and put 1/2 of cane juice crystals in.


Then I add in 1/3 cup of dutch processed cocoa and one raw egg yolk.


On top of those ingredients, I ladle the jar half full of cream.



Then I cover the jar and shake well.


Next, I top off the jar with more cream, cover and shake again.





Store in the refrigerator until you are ready to make the ice cream. 

I use a Cuisinart ice cream maker that has a frozen gel insert - it makes the process of making ice cream so much easier than the ice and salt method.  The only problem I have with this ice cream maker is that it only takes a quart at a time.  Most of the time I do not need more ice cream than a single batch, but then there are times when I need more on hand, like when I make ice cream cakes, and I have to plan my batches out days in advance.  
Here is the base for the ice cream maker and frozen gel container (left), and the ice cream mixture (middle), and ice cream maker cover (right).




  In making the ice cream, pour the mixture into the turning ice cream maker.




Finally, here is what the mixture looks like when it is finished.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Brie Cheese

Fermented Peanut Butter

Homemade Chihuahua Cheese