Friday, January 4, 2013

Fried Cheese Sticks

OK, so it may seem like I have been frying a lot of food lately, which I have, but it's only because I like to use my frying oil as much as I can before I throw it out.  So, two batches of doughnuts, today's fried cheese sticks, and Sunday will be a batch of hush puppies to finish it off.

Here is how I made the fried cheese sticks this evening using some homemade Jarlsberg cheese.  If you want to make the recipe easier, and you don't have a large chunk of cheese to cut up, string cheese works great for this recipe too.

First, I started out my getting three "dipping stations" ready.  

Dipping station #1:
  • 2/3 cup whole wheat flour (freshly ground if possible)
  • 1/3 cup corn starch


Dipping station #2:
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup water


Dipping station #3:
  • 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs (I make mine in the food processor out of old bread)
  • 2 Tablespoons approximately of a mix of Italian herbs, your choice
  • 1 teaspoon salt



Mix all of the ingredients at each station well (but separately) and then proceed to dunk each cheese stick, starting at station #1 and proceeding through station #3.  Put all the dipped cheese sticks onto a tray and refrigerate while you are heating the oil to 180 degrees Fahrenheit.  



Drop one cheese stick in the oil at a time and let it cook for about a minute.  (I tried to do two sticks at a time, but they tend to attract to one another and then fry themselves together - ugh.)



Keep them in a warm oven until you are ready to serve them.  

My family loved these cheese sticks that I made along with fresh bread sticks and homemade heirloom tomato marinara sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing in the context of love and truth helps us all grow in who God desires us to be. Please feel free to share comments that are beneficial to the purpose of this site and in pursuing godly, healthy living.